Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The Green-Eyed Monster

Lately my Facebook feed has been more like Baby Book, full of baby pictures. Then there are the first back to school pictures popping up; I can't quite believe that friends have children quite that old already. (My high school lab partner has a daughter in 6th grade!!!) And so I sit here, typing through the tears. Husbandido and I were trying to play a game of Thunderstone, but I couldn't really focus. I couldn't help but keep asking him why we want to want to raise someone else's children. Therein lies one of the fundamental differences in how we see adoption; to Husbandido, once you adopt them, the children are yours. To me, they are your children, but they will always also be someone else's children. Somewhere out there they have other parents, other relatives, that have nothing to do with you. 

I'm exhausted, which isn't helping my mood. I'm tired of thinking about life insurance, and where our birth certificates are, and making sure all our ducks are in a row. I'm tired of constantly questioning whether we're doing the right things. I'm tired of questioning whether it's worth it, any of it. I'm tired of trying to figure out how to deal with out of network claims and what lab will be willing to do the blood draws and let me send off the blood; I'm tired of none of it being easy. I'm tired of not being able to escape from everyone else's babies. (They even followed me into my e-mail when I scooted off FB to escape! Thank you Pregnancy Resource Center of the South Hills.) I even thought about going to bed at 8:30 pm, but I resisted because I'm not 5 (or sick). I knew if I tried to go bed, I would just end up sobbing up there. (Which, let's face it, wouldn't accomplish anything.) 

Nights like these, it's hard to fight the green-eyed monster, the one who asks "Why do they get what they wanted and I don't? Why does a 28 year old who has a 5 year old and toddler twins get pregnant with twins in an unplanned pregnancy that nearly ends in abortion, and I spend years taking medications and doing everything I can and still can't get pregnant?" Nights like these, jealousy gets the better of me, and I forget the many ways I am fortunate. Nights like these, I just want to give up. I could really stand to have a lot fewer of nights like these. 

6 comments:

  1. ((Hugs)) I am so sorry. IF sucks. Holding you close in prayer. If I lived nearby, I would bring your favorite treat and we could just sit and watch a movie, you wouldn't even need to say anything. I wish I could do more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know these feelings well! Sorry you are having a tough time. Hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This back to school stuff gets really rough. I start doing the mental math of how old my kids would be if I had gotten to get married and have kids when the rest of my friends were... Dangerous, but I can't seem to stop. It's rough! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These times are just so hard and difficult to go through with so many unknowns and work in sight and exhaustion from the past. The book hypothetical future baby was one that helped me. It is an entertaining read that helped me laugh at the awfulness that is infertility.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These times are just so hard and difficult to go through with so many unknowns and work in sight and exhaustion from the past. The book hypothetical future baby was one that helped me. It is an entertaining read that helped me laugh at the awfulness that is infertility.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These times are just so hard and difficult to go through with so many unknowns and work in sight and exhaustion from the past. The book hypothetical future baby was one that helped me. It is an entertaining read that helped me laugh at the awfulness that is infertility.

    ReplyDelete