Thursday, May 29, 2014

Age and the Infertile Gal

Age can be looked at in a couple of different ways when you're dealing with infertility. The first is the inexorable passing of time, like sands through the hourglass or the ticking of the 60 Minutes clock; that aspect of age was on my mind at the start of the month as I turned 37. Realistically I have, at most, four or five years of potential fertility left. Especially as someone who feels very strongly about not having an only child, that can be tough to accept. The chances that we will be able to have more than one child are low and diminishing with each passing month. But it is the other way of viewing age that has been more on my mind recently.

There were five us there, with 16 years separating the oldest from the youngest. Sixteen years is quite a difference, and in many circles there wouldn't be that much to talk about. Yet somehow running out of things to talk about was far from a problem. (N.B. 37 is far too old to be staying up until 4 a.m.) In a group of adults with children, most often people gravitate towards others whose children are the same age. Certainly there are divisions between "young" parents and "older" parents, but they often find common ground if their children are of similar age. They have that stage of life in common, whether it be infants, toddlers, school age children, paying for college, or being empty nesters. Being Catholic women without children, we didn't have the barriers of age or number of children dividing us. There was no separation between small families and large families, just us, each of us with our own experiences. Though there were differences in where each of us is in our IF journey, the knowledge of that shared journey brought us together. It was such a joy to not let age be a barrier, but to simply appreciate the varied experiences that each of us brought to our gathering.

5 comments:

  1. It's funny how age becomes irrelevant at certain points in your life. I am so glad that the weekend was one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's been one"blessing" of IF, getting to know women of different ages. I feel blessed that at church and where we live I am friends with women of all ages and life stages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of it that way, but it is very true. Also, I didn't even stay up until 4, but I swear it took me a week to recover from the lack of sleep! (Still so worth it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true! While I hate that IF is what bring us all together, I love that no matter the age, we're all there to support and understand each other. I agree with Mary Beth... it's definitely a "blessing" of IF.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss this? Wait I know...I'm still sleep-deprived from staying up until 4am!

    I've pondered this myself, how life circumstances more than age often dictate groupings. I'm so glad we all got together - it really was SO needed.

    ReplyDelete